Thursday, April 30, 2009

Baby Chicks Update

Ok, well Dennis came home with four baby chicks about a month ago. We have had a little bit of drama with them. Cora loves to check on them everyday when we get home...but she still doesn't want them to touch her or be on her. Can't blame her, I don't either.
Within a week of getting the first round of chicks, one went missing. It was on a Saturday and we still had them in the garage in a rubbermaid bin. We leave our garage door open a lot of the time while we are home. That evening I went outside to throw something away and there were only three chicks in the bin. Oops. We looked around outside for awhile and never found it, but we did find a neighborhood cat lurking around. So, the following day, the chicks were moved to their new cage in the backyard.
They did fine...until all the rains came. One Friday evening I had come home early from work and before I left to pick up Cora from school I checked on the chicks. It was raining pretty hard and a little bit of water was on the edge of the cage. I called Dennis and he said he would be heading home soon. I found a tarp in the garage and covered the cage as best I could. I tried moving it, but it was just too heavy. I only had one rock, so half of the tarp flipped up, but half of the cage was still covered. I left to pick up Cora...
And then there was one...I came home and two of the chicks had drowned! There was less than 1/2 inch in the bottom of the cage...but come to find out, chicks and turkey are stupid in the rain and they hold their mouths open to the rain...and drown! Crazy.
Saturday we had a huge storm and got about 8 inches in a few hours...and some hail. The only lonely chick survived that and Dennis rescued it from a couple inches of water. I thought Dennis would have learned his lesson and given up on the whole chick idea...but nope! When Cora and I were at gymnastics and a play date, he went and bought three more!
So, now we are back to four...

The lighter colored (and bigger) one is from the original group... the younger ones follow her around like she's the mom.

Daddy and Cora checking on the chicks and feeding them.
Cora telling the chicks bye bye for the night.

No comments: